What causes tenderness and pain below my rib cage?

I have tenderness and slight pain on right side. Just below rib cage. About an inch below skin so it might be an organ. Begins from about 1 inch from outside waistline and extends toward middle of body about 3 inches. More tender in front but can also be tender on backside as well. I had steamer clams. Scallops and a bottle of red wine two nights ago. Stayed up till 2am way past my bedtime. Woke up with pain in side yesterday drank lots of water and liver detox tea and coconut water. Ate grated beets lemon and flax oil late in after noon then had a bowl of seafood chowder last night. A heating pad can give a little relief. Not my usual perky self. 5' 11". 155 pounds age 55
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am worried about your gall bladder. Detailed Answer: Hello, In view of symptoms that is pain in right upper quadrant of abdomen felt at deeper level makes me think of gall bladder stone or inflammation. Other possibility is duodenal or gastric ulcer.This may be more likely possibility if you are getting burning feeling ,indigestion or bloating sensation.Staying late overnight also trigger this. You can take an oral antacid to see if this will helps to relieve symptoms. Take non-spicy diet. Dont stay empty stomach. If symptoms persist or get worse after this consider seeing doctor.Doctor might want to get an ultrasound done to have look at internal organs. Hope this helps.Regards.
Follow-up: What causes tenderness and pain below my rib cage? 2 days later
Thank you for your answer. Staying away from spicy food, keeping food in stomach. Getting more rest. Seem to be doing better. Is there any other foods to eat or not eat or anything else I should be aware of if there is a tendency to have gallbladder issues? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Avoid fatty and oily food Detailed Answer: Any food that is fatty and oily should be avoided as this cause strain on gall bladder. Rice recipes can be tried very well. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes tenderness and pain below my rib cage? 39 hours later
What is fatty oily food? I don't eat fried food. Rarely eat meat, if I do, fat is trimmed or grease is removed. Is olive oil, flax seed oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil considered the "oil" to be avoided or do you mean stay away from butter, canola oil, vegetable oil?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes all types of oil have got fat in them. Detailed Answer: Even butter will have fat. You can restrict their amount as totally avoiding them may not be possible.Even may packed foods have at in them and it is mentioned on the pack.