What causes tender and painful nipples with yelloish discharge?

Right nipple was very tender and painful and discovered what looked and responded like a pimple on tip. It popped and resembled a yellowish zit material. It returned a month later and found another spot just below same spot that also "popped" and secreted same. I can excrete some of the pussy fluid on occasion from same area still after a few weeks when feels like its itchy and getting sore again. I can feel the "tube" to nipple larger on right like it was when breast fed. I am 42 and had full hysterectomy last year, in menopause now on estrace. Last Mammo was less than yr ago and all clear. Pap not due yet either. I have pics if need.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: likely benign breast condition Detailed Answer: dear XXXXXXX thanks for the query. pictures would be great. less than 5% of nipple secretions are caused by breast malignancy which is reassuring. given the features of the discharge, ectasia of the milky conduits or a small intraareolar growth called intraductal papilloma are the most probable causes. both are benign but you should have a formal breast examination and perhaps a breast ultrasound and mammogram could be indicated yours truly
Follow-up: What causes tender and painful nipples with yelloish discharge? 1 hour later
Not to be a hypochondriac but also read that secretion from one breast can indicate pituitary gland problems? I will be following up and getting exam to be sure nothing is wrong in breast tho. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Indeed Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the follow up. Indeed, one of the differential diagnosis of nipple secretion outside of the breastfeeding period are pituitary tumors, specifically prolactinomas. The secretion is classically milky and fluid, just like milk, which gives to the term galactorrhea or milky secretion. The description you give is not consistent fortunately, but you want to ask your doctor to check a prolactin level just to be complete. Wish you the very best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN