What causes symptoms of fever with swollen, painful joint and recurrence of symptoms?

For the past month to two months I have been experiencing swollen joints, pain and aches in the ankle, elbow and wrists along with running a fever up to 101. My doc has put me on steroids and antibiotics and things got better but now all the symptoms are back after being off the meds for 8 days.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NSAIDs,Hot fomentation,topical analgesic,physiothe Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using HCM. I went through the query and understood your concern. . The symptoms of fever with arthritis (swollen and painful joint) and recurrence of symptoms suggests that you may be suffering from viral arthritis (like dengue etc). Viral arthritis is triggered by a viral infection in the body. When viral arthritis attacks it can cause symptoms like fever, joint pain, joint swelling and inflammation. Post viral arthralgia (pain in joints) well respond to antiinflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen or aceclofenac, hot fomatation, topical analgesic gel application and physiotherapy of joints. Have good hydration. Steroids will also help in preventing inflammation similar to anti inflammatory drugs and will help you. Viral arthritis is easy to treat and it typically disappears within a matter of few weeks and treatment is usually by anti inflammatory medicines(NSAIDs) only and local hot fomentation. I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any further queries and I will be glad to answer them. Wish you good health and faster recovery. Regards