What causes swollen veins in arms after heavy alcohol consumption?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
Hi. Got swollen veins in my left arm. Been drinking heavily. Shld I worry m
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be anything to worry about. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Swollen veins with no other symptoms in someone of your age is unlikely to be anything to worry about. If you develop pain or swelling in your arm without any history of trauma, then I suggest you see a doctor. Otherwise, keep yourself well hydrated if you have been drinking heavily and the enlarged veins are likely to disappear over the course of the day. I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please do hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: What causes swollen veins in arms after heavy alcohol consumption? 8 minutes later
Thanks. Ive only got sweaty hands and feet and my left arm is a bit warm. by staying hydrated, I shpuld get back to.normal ?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Will recover. Detailed Answer: Hi, This is most probably the effects of drinking and I am confident that you will return to normal over the course of the next few hours. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger