What causes swollen tonsils, fatigue, fever, pelvic discomfort and genital itching?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Am a 36 year old woman. I have had swollen tonsils with pus for 3 weeks - penicillin (for the last 8 days) has not caused them to be reduced. Also have experienced extreme fatigue, but no fever. Strep and mono screens came back negative. Have had pelvic discomfort for the last week as well. Some genital itching for the past week too. Am worried as had unprotected sex with partner 4 weeks ago (oral and vaginal). He is my only partner, but I now suspect I may not be his. He is sick too - just about same time as me (3-4 weeks he said). He went to hospital - texted me that mono may be good news. But won't tell me what they tested him for. Did search on internet symptom checker seems symptoms could be a very bad thing (HIV?).
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms not related to HIV.Screening for STD/HIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to HCM. Thanks for posting your query. Earliest HIV manifestations can occur only 4 weeks after the possible infection, that too, only in 50% of the individuals. Fever, joint and body pain with sore throat are common early manifestations. But as per your statement, your symptoms started a week after the high risk contact which could not be related to HIV at all. As you had unprotected oral sex also, there is a possibility of STD organism in your throat infection can not be ruled out. Culture and sensitivity from the throat swab and a smear examination will reveal the causative organism. Treatment could be planned according to the outcome of the results of these tests. Genital itching may be due to an yeast infection of genitals. That also can be confirmed by a genital examination and certain investigation. Whatever may be your problem, your sex partner also have to be treated simultaneously. Anyhow, as you had unprotected exposures (oral and genital), it is better for you to have a complete blood work out for both STD/HIV at appropriate time about which you can discuss with your physician. There are other alternatives for a pustular tonsillitis other than penicillin. Nothing to worry much. Get well soon. Dr S.Murugan,
Follow-up: What causes swollen tonsils, fatigue, fever, pelvic discomfort and genital itching? 12 hours later
Oh, it appears not to have... What I was saying is that I have some lingering concern as we are a long-distance pair (live four hours apart) and come together for visits every 4-6 weeks. I saw him in December from the 11th - 16th. And then again in January, as I described above. I did get sick after I saw him in December - always seem to do so - had a cold and a runny nose with fever. I was home for Christmas, however, and my whole family seemed to have the cold, so I am not sure if it was related to my visit with him. His preferences are not to use protection - he had told me he had no STD and at the time I believed he was monogomous, as I have been. I do not believe that anymore, and do not know if this additional information changes your opinion in any way. Thank you again for advising.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms notspecific for STD/HIV.Confirm with test Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Cold, running nose is a very common affair for anybody to get, that too, when other family members had similar cold. Moreover it could have been contracted from your sex partner during intimacy as an air born non- STD infection. There was nothing to confirm STD/HIV from these symptoms. At the same time the reliability of your sex partner's sexual activities and his words are questionable. So only with the blood screening tests for STD/HIV only, you can ascertain that you are free from STD/HIV as any infected person may remain symptom-less for a quite a long time. Rule out a least possibility for STD/HIV with appropriate tests at appropriate time. Conclusive results can be obtained with the tests 4 weeks after the last risky contact. Always rely on safe sex to avoid unwanted mental tension. Dr S.Murugan