What causes swollen throat and joints with fever?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
temperature 95.9, even with hot tea. Dizzy. Swollen Joints in hands. Swollen Throat. Numbness in ends metacarpals and tarsals. General Weakness and shakiness.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Additional medical data of yours needed... Detailed Answer: Hi, The swollen throat and joints in hands and fever you are experiencing could be related to: - common viral infection - arthritis triggered by a common infection I'd like to ask to have other of your medical data: - did the swollen of the joints in hands show after getting fever or before? - are the joints also red (inflamed) or itchy? - do you have other symptoms like urinary or bowel problems? Looking forward to have the requested data! Thank you! Dr.Sonila
Follow-up: What causes swollen throat and joints with fever? 3 hours later
after the low temp, they are red/inflamed but not itching. they are quite painful though and my fingers are numb. strong odor to urine but no other urinary or bowel problems
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Susp.arthritis triggered by viral/throat infection Detailed Answer: Hi back my dear, Thank you for following up. You are saying to have had high fever first and then had red-inflammed finger joints. Your clinic is indicative for earlier viral infection, triggering/precipitating arthritis with renal problems (as you having strong odor to urine). So, I'd strongly suggest to ; - do culture of the throat (especially for strep throat) - measure the levels of antistreptolysins and rheumatoid factor - do urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound to exclude renal problems - measure the ERS and fibrinogen levels. Once the tests results are in, should be treated orally with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs for long time. Meanwhile, I'd suggest to; - apply cold compresses to the finger joints together with analgezic cream - take ibuprofen for the pain and to reduce inflammation All the best! Dr.Sonila