What causes swollen bumps in groin area before my period?

I have about three small bumps in groin area. They have been there for a few months and have not changed except for getting swollen when they change before my period. The change is not significant but they do swell a bit. I found one on the other side at one point but it is gone now. I usually have really severe cramps and pain on the first day but, after cutting down on the caffeine and stress, it wan't as bad this last time. I am not sure, but it seems that did not swell as much this time, either. At one point, I had an inflammed pimple in the area but that has cleared up. There is a cyst, also, in my breast that swells before my period and then virtually disappears once it begins. I am in school and don't want to go to a Dr. just right now. They are very small, they are moveable for the most part but I am not really sure what moveable means. When I push around them they shift, They do not hurt except once in a while when I push on one of them and have not really changed during these last few months. I seem to think that they are fibrous feeling but then they do swell a bit with hormone change. Do you have any idea from my discription what they may be?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Swollen Lymph nodes with breast cyst. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. You have mentioned mononucleosis in your medical history. Small bumps in Groin are most probably Swollen Lymph Nodes and these may be due to mononucleosis. These will subside when mononucleosis is completely passed. Cyst in Breast is a breast cyst and these are usually benign. But the nature of cyst can be found out only after investigations like Mammogram and aspiration. It usually increase in size and become tender just before one's period, and again come back to normal size once period is over. For cyst i advise you to consult a local OBS/GYN, because clinical examination is necessary before any further step. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: What causes swollen bumps in groin area before my period? 40 minutes later
I had mono a number of years ago, not currently. The only infections that I have had lately have been flu--like throwing up flu that resolved in a day--- and continuing sinus congestion from, as the dr. said, allergies. This is other than the inflamed pimple in the area. I am concerned that it is serious rather than lymph. Can Mono still inflame the lymph nodes since it remains in the body, and, do the sypmtoms I told you seem to indicate a non-threatening situation?
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Swollen Lymph is a cause of concern Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. There are various cause swollen lymph nodes like: Viral infections like Mononucleosis, Cytomegalovirus, measles, mumps Bacterial infections like Strep Throat or lyme disease Side effect of vaccines Cancer AIDS STDs like syphilis In your case it might be Mono or a recent flu leading to sinusitis (investigations required) At present the symptoms are a non-threatening situation but are alarming for investigations. As I said, a proper clinical examination and investigation is necessary for actual cause and treatment. It is must to consult a doctor, even if you are in school. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.