What causes swelling,redness,bluish discoloration and numbness of upper limb?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I'm having many different symptoms, first of all I've had constant swelling of my legs and feet for well over a year. I sometimes lose feeling in them as well. I have aches and pains in all my muscles. My hands swell up and get very red in color and I often lose feeling to the point where I drop things right out of them. Lately I notice my fingernails turning a blueish color that comes and goes. I've been more fatigue than usual. I'm experiencing hot flashes (could be caused from "my change of life") just the other day I noticed that in the lower part of both legs near my ankles it looks like I have ruptured small veins leading up my leg approximately 2 inches. And Ive also had my menstrual way more frequently over the past 3-5 months, approximately 2-3 tines Monthly lasting 4-5 days and it seems to be more heavy then normal. I also have red blotchy patches on my face and neck that just appeared approximately 4-5 hours ago.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Connective tissue disorder and menstrual disorder Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX The current problem that you suffer is that of swelling, redness, bluish discoloration and numbness of upper limb; swelling of feet, fatigue, ruptured veins on legs, and irregular menstrual cycles. The symptoms of redness, bluish discoloration and numbness are features of connective tissue disorder. The fatigue is an associated feature of connective tissue disease. Swelling of ankles and legs is seen in hypertension. You need to get your blood pressure measured. The ruptured veins that you have mentioned could be ruptured veins or they can be due to some other disease process. A clinical examination is required to exactly characterize the lesion. For diagnosis of the condition a clinical examination, antibody titres are required and for this you need to consult your physician. Menstrual irregularities are most commonly due to hormonal imbalance. At your age, the symptoms have to be taken more seriously. You need to visit your gynecologist for endometrial biopsy. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal