What causes swelling or a mass in the chest?

I have swelling or a mass in my upper chest it don't hurt or nothing but you can sure see it. it is on my left side of chest what could it be?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 37 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

By the description provided it is difficult to give a clear diagnosis.

But here are the possible causes of a mass in the upper chest.

1. Lipoma
2. Thymoma, thyroid tumors, Lymphomas - situated in the neck and upper chest.
3. Chest wall tumors - originating from the cartilage, bone, or muscle.

The best way of diagnosis of this condition is by a physical examination and tests including a x-ray, A CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan. Additional information can be obtained via tissue examination (Biopsy or FNAC).

You might consult your doctor for a examination and proper evaluation of your condition.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.