What causes swelling on lips and face while taking exforge, aspirin and furosemide?

I am now on exforge,metoprolol(100mg twice a day) ,aspirin 81 ,low dosage,furosemide, pantoprazole 20mg twice a day. Sertaline,centrim(vitamins,b-12 every day, I am now having some problems with swelling of the lips and face .what could that be ? I am a 66 year old male African American and Been suffering from HBP since I was in the army and it was service - connected. I do not drink alcohol or smoke and I watch my sodium intake . I do not drink nothing with caffeine in it .i do excersice 3 times a day.i get sertaline from the VA.what should I do?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Valsartain in Exforge is the probable cause Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this swelling of the face and lips that you have described. I hope we get to figure out the exact cause of this and propose some real solutions to you. After a thorough review of your symptoms and the medications, the most likely cause of this is exforge. Exforge contains as one of its active components valsartan which has been well documented to cause these symptoms. This is generally referred to as angioedema. It is a concerning condition and needs to be addressed. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, your doctor may want to change this class of medication to another which is not known for these similar effects. For this reasons, I will like you to report this to your treating physician and get him to assess and do the appropriate changes. What breathing disorder do you have? This is because this same drug can cause some swelling in the airways that can be responsible for breathing difficulties. If the cause has not been clearly identified, then your physician should consider this as one of the possible causes. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.