What causes swelling of the epidydimus on testicle?

I am 61 years old, married for 40 years and do not have sex with anyone other than my wife. I apparently have swelling of the epidydimus on one testicle. This happenned 6 months to a year ago as well. I take DHEA-10 and the first time it occurred was shortly after I started. I had a vasectomy 26 years ago and am wondering what might be the cause. Last time the pain subsided in 24-48 hours and the swelling went away. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acute or chronic epididymitis--------------------- Detailed Answer: welcome o the forum. If recent onset, i would think of an acute episode of epididymitis. If it has been there for a while, I would think of recurrent inflammation and infection resulting in residual swelling. In the first case, you need to be examined, get a urine culture test done and appropriate antibiotics started. In the second situation, scrotal support is good enough. To know this , physical examination is a must. Also, i would do an ultrasound scan of the scrotum to look for hydrocele, cyst or other related causes. Till you get a consultation, scrotal support, anti-inflammatory agents will help. Hope these words are helpful, Truly