What causes swelling of lips with blisters?

my daughter came home with swollen lips. I thought she was having an allergic reaction to something so I gave her beneydral. she fell asleep. when she woke up she felt a little better but now her lips are dry with white bumps on them. like blisters. she is also complaining of her back jawline hurting. what do you think is wrong
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blisters over lips, can be herpes Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Your daughter seems to have developed a viral infection of the lips which is a herpes infection. A mild swelling of lips with associated discomfort and pain can be associated with herpes infection. She should keep the affected area clean and dry. Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the blisters twice a day. Take some oral antihistamine like benadryl to relieve the swelling. She can take some oral painkiller like paracetamol for the pain. She should drink plenty of fluids. Avoid direct sunlight. If the infection is very severe, she might need a course of oral antivirals. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul