What causes swelling in upper legs ,hips and back when suffering from Neuropathy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My husband is 70 years old, in a nursing home because he Neuropathy of unknown origin whereby he has lost nerve control in his lower legs. Problem is swelling. Compression socks has caused swelling to settle in his upper legs and hips and back. Lasix is not working although they keep using it. Of course elevation of this area can't be done. Since the Lasix is not taking the swelling down, what else other than water retention could cause swelling?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your husband's symptoms. The likely causes of swelling are: 1. Lack of mobility, 2. Low serum albumin (due to poor protein intake in the diet). In addition, certain medications such as amlodipine (used for BP control) can also cause swelling. Finally, a disease of heart, kidney or liver can lead to generalised swelling. So, investigations should be done to exclude them. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What causes swelling in upper legs ,hips and back when suffering from Neuropathy? 13 hours later
Thank you. I'll show this to my husband and see if he has any questions.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sure. Detailed Answer: I would be pleased to answer any follow-up questions. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes swelling in upper legs ,hips and back when suffering from Neuropathy? 25 hours later
I am told by the nursing home that the swelling is outside of the cells, and Lasix only affects water within the cells. Yet they still want him to drink as much as he can, so his urine output is good, and still take Lasix, although the swelling never goes down. I've checked into your other possibilities for the swelling, but he doesn't have any of the symptoms. Can you tell me what kind of specialist he might consult?

Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: He would benefit from consulting an Internal Medicine specialist, as he would be able to look at all the possibilities that could result in this kind of swelling. Swelling outside the cells is sully due to poor nutritional status, as evidenced by a low haemoglobin and low serum albumin (& protein). If you have access to his blood reports, please upload them, it would be useful. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM