What causes swelling in the limbs post surgery ?

Question
I HAD TURP 48 HOURS AGO TO ALLEVIATESEVERE BLOCKAGE. PROSTATE WAS TIGHT, NOT ENLARGED. I AM HOME WITH FOLEY CATHETER. I AM EXPERIENCING ABNORMAL SWELLING IN LEGS, ABDOMEN AND HANDS, REMINISCENT OF FIRST VISIT TO EMERGENCY ROOM WHEN BLOCKAGE WAS DIAGNOSED AS CAUSE OF RENAL FAILURE. THEN, CATHETER RELIEVED SYMPTOMS. NOW, I DON'T KNOW. IS SWELLING NORMAL? THANKS
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Any type of swelling in the lower limbs after a surgical procedure is 'not normal'. If you are having swelling of the lower limbs, abdomen and hands after TURP procedure renal problems and cardiac causes need to be ruled out at the earliest.

If you notice redness and pain associated then XXXXXXX vein thrombosis is important condition that needs to be ruled out. DVT is caused by thrombus formation in the veins and can occur in some people after a surgical procedure.

I suggest you to get your renal profile checked along with serum levels of sodium, potassium, urea and creatinine checked. You may also need an EKG done to look at the cardiac status. I suggest that you get the test as early as possible. I can help you better if you can send me the reports of the aforementioned tests.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.