What causes swelling in my foot after having a stroke?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello, I had a stroke in dec. 2013. everything worked ok for about 3 months. then my foot around my ankle swell.Also my hand swell as did my fingers. They swell enough that i cannot close them into a fist. the finger will move but will not close. i am also a diabetea but take med. And have it and the blood presure under control.Are there anything I can do or take to help this or cure it. I also go to therapy once a wk.
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Neurological deficit and leading to sympathetic ch Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case, Post stroke there can be neurological deficit and leading to sympathetic changes. As you are having diabetes also peripheral circulation gets hampered due to occlusion of vessels. You may need clinical examination to look for any residual neurological deficit and vascular status for your peripheral limb. He may advise you to go for MRI brain and some blood investigation, EMG –NCV [nerve conduction], Colour Doppler. Continue your physiotherapy, and diabetic medication. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.