What causes swelling in fingers?

my middle finger is swollen, but I didn't hurt it in anyway nor do I have a insect bite. two days ago it just started getting large and I was unable to bend it. as of today I can bend it but it's still swollen.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Wait and watch. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that swollen finger can be due to many causes, sometimes it can be due to unidentified trauma , since there is no pain that means there is no sign of infection or inflammation . If it doesnt settle by its own then a possibilty of dactylitis needs to be considered and investigated . Since you dont report any other symptom like fever etc. it seems to be innocent and will settle on its own probably. In my opinion we can have a wait and watch policy for this. Hot pack is useful sometimes cold ones. Check yourself. But in case any other sign appears you will need to see a doctor because physical examination will play an important role in determining what exactly is going on. Take care. Dr. Shruti