What causes swelling in eyes with headaches?

For 3 days I have had swelling in m y right eye and forehead. Now, my right eye is very swollen! I have had headaches for the past 3 days. Today my eye is swollen below the eye as well as the eyelid. I have bruises about 1" (sores) above my right eye and a small sore in the center of my forehead. I did not fall or clunk my head.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is inflammation/infection of eyelid glands. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having swelling in the right eye lid and forehead associated with headache. The symptoms most probably indicate inflammation of the eye lid most probably because of infection involving the glands of the eyelids. The treatment of the condition is by oral antibiotics, oral anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotic eye drops or eye ointments. Please do mention answers for few questions as below Do you have pain of the eye lids? Do you have redness of the eyes? Do you have any pain on eye movements? Do you have any visual disturbances? If possible do send me a photo of the affected eye so that I can answer more accurately. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Follow-up: What causes swelling in eyes with headaches? 21 hours later
I went to the Emergency Room and was diagnosed with shingles on the upper right side of my face. I was given an eye exam and the eye seems to be okay and not directly involved, except for swelling. I was given anti-viral medicine and Keflex.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Shingles is a viral infection by Herpes zoster. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up. Shingles is because of Herpes Zoster virus. The childhood infection of chicken pox which is acquired in childhood stays in the nerves and becomes reactivated later. The causes for reactivation are the conditions associated with decreased immunity. The treatment of the condition is by antiviral drugs in the form of acyclovir. Since you have already got examined by doctor and eye is not involved. It is a good sign that eye is not involved except for swelling. The swelling is because of reactionary edema and this will come down once the inflammation of the surrounding skin is reduced. The treatment you are on in the form of antiviral drugs is correct. Hence I advice you to continue the treatment as advised. Along with the treatment I advice you to rule out decreased immunity in the body as a cause for the reactivation of the infection. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you