What causes swelling in clitoris?

Question
Over the past week I have noticed my clitoris seems to be swelling. My husband looked at it and said it links like it looks an feels like it is full off blood. He said it Is very purple like a bruise. I don't have sex often and haven't in at least a month. It doesn't hurt or feel sore. Have you heard of this? What could have caused this?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be hematoma or infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The cause for your clitoral swelling could be one of the following. 1. Allergic reaction to some kind of substance, fabric, scented or coloured toilet paper, local cleanser, lotion, gel, soap or bathing product. 2. An infection, due to the nails or a nearby infected hair follicle, which could be causing a developing abscess. If you have accompanying urinary symptoms, it could be UTI ( urinary tract infection ). Also, if you used some kind of insertion device, that could have abraded and injured the clitoral area, and caused infection. Also preexisting genital infection in the area, such as fungal infection or bacterial infection, could have been worsened by abrasion. 3. If it is painful and troublesome with skin color changes, there could be a minor blood vessel which bled inside the clitoris, leading to a hematoma ( blood clot ). You need to consult a gynecologist for exact diagnosis and treatment. For the time being, please use ice packs, soothing gels like aloe vera. Also avoid abrasion and friction, excessive washing or rubbing of the affected area. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes swelling in clitoris? 7 hours later
It sounds more like a hematoma. How could a doctor help? Honestly i

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: may need drainage. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If it is a hematoma and there is no pain or throbbing sensation then an infection is not likely. In case the hematoma is a big one then a surgical drainage might be needed for an early healing. meanwhile use icepacks to reduce the swelling. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards