What causes swelling in cheeks and lips when having dentures?

Jan 2014

I've had dentures. Not sure if the following swelling is due to not cleaning them every night. I went to my dr. 1 yr ago and she said I was allergic to maybe food. I eat basically the same thing all the time. If I do eat something different, I do not get the symptom. The big time swelling starts usually on my left cheek (almost like a big knot) but sometimes on my upper and lower lip and then it all moves to my other cheek. I absolutely look horrible. Can not work and be seen when this happens. I take 1 zyrtec a day and benydril tabs. thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Angioedema, Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Angioedema. Angioedema or Quincke's edema is the rapid swelling of the dermis, subcutaneous tissue, mucosa and submucosal tissues. It can be either Acquired OR Hereditary Angioedema I would like to gather some more information from you regarding your concern in order to be able to help you better. -Since how long do you have this problem? -Do you have any symptoms associated with the swellings? -Are you on some oral medications? Painkillers? Anti-hypertensives? -Do you also suffer from Hives/Urticaria? -Does anybody else in your family has the same problem? take care regards