What causes swelling in calf?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 55yo and female. I sometimes get swelling in my calves. It comes on quite suddenly and I can feel the skin tightening then I check and they feel hard. I don't know why this happens only that it seems to be when I have had little sleep.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Following measure will help- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. After going through the description, I understand your concern regarding your symptoms.Your description suggests that you are getting spasm and stiffness in the calf muscles. These are often caused by overuse, dehydration, or nutritional deficiencies. Following measure will help- *Drink fluid-An electrolyte imbalance can be the cause of muscle spasms, so rehydrating with an electrolyte drink can help restore balance. *Stretch the affected muscle with a mild, static stretch. * Warm compresses will be helpful for the muscle to relax. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care