What causes swelling in ankles during postpartum?
User rating for this question
Hi, I'm 8 weeks postpartum and I have painful swelling on my ankles. The pain and throbbing goes up to my calf, behind my knee. I've tried soaking them in Hot water with Epson salt, drink lots of water, ibprofen but the pain is still there. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: I am assuming that this has either persisted since the delivery OR is a new problem that is worsening. In any case, I think my impression and plan would be as follows: 1. Swelling during and after pregnancy in the legs and ankles is very common 2. It is often made worse after a delivery in the setting of anemia (less "stuff" in the bloodstream allows fluid to leak into the surrounding tissue) and extra fluids given, for example, during an induction or with an epidural 3. Less commonly, but of some concern, is the risk for blood clots. Given your description of the swelling actually causing pain, I think that #3 needs to be ruled out. You should go in to be examined as soon as you can. If there is no evidence of blood clots, have them check your blood counts (CBC) and review with you if there are any concerns about your blood pressure. I hope that this helps - let me know!
People also viewed
- What causes swelling in ankles during postpartum
- On tetracycline pills had unprotected sex pregnancy chances
- Prenatal blood work results showed low esonphil count concern about
- Sorness behind two front teeth
- Bloated belly havent urinated all day
- Pregnancy test done positive result vaginal bleeding miscarriage
- Belly button ring bump bleeding
- Had sex delayed period why was discharge yellow later pregnant
- Postpartum cardiomyopathy causes
- Had intercourse feeling movements in stomach chance of being pregnant
- Womans belly button bleeding
- Postpartum hemorrhage causes
- Postpartum depression causes
- Husband has bloated belly
- Postpartum eclampsia causes