What causes swelling between eyebrow and eye?

Ophthalmologist
Question
HI, what causes swelling between eyebrow and eye?? I wake up each morning with super edema along that area. I also use cpap can that be causing the problem??
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This can be because of CPAP. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having swelling between eye brow and eye daily morning on waking up and you use CPAP. I guess CPAP means continuous positive air way pressure and the swelling between the eye brow and eye means swelling of the eye lids. The most common indication for CPAP is for sleep apnea and other breathing problems. One of the common associated eye problem seen in diseases which require CPAP is Floppy eye lid syndrome. Here the eye lid becomes rubbery and swells up and it is usually associated with papillary conjunctivitis. The treatment of the condition in the initial stages is by lubricating eye drops. The other thing which can occur is improper fitting of the mask during CPAP which will lead to misdirection of the air causing drying of the eyes. This may lead to swelling of the eye lids. Hence I advice you to consult eye doctor for examination to rule out floppy eye lid syndrome and treatment accordingly. Thank you

Follow-up: What causes swelling between eyebrow and eye? 24 hours later
Eye swelling gone throughout the day. I don't think it's conjunctivitis since it goes away throughout day.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: This can be floppy eye lid syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. Since you have mentioned that eye swelling is present only on waking up, this is because of either early floppy eye lid syndrome without papillary conjunctivitis or because of misdirection of the air causing dryness of eyes eventually leading to swelling of eyes. Hence I advice you to check for the fitting of the mask if it is fine it rules out misdirection of air causing swelling of eye lids. You need to get examined by a ophthalmologist to look for floppy eye lid syndrome and treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you