What causes swelling behind left ear and down the neck?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Swelling behind left ear and down neck. Left jaw is swollen too. Jaw pops when opening mouth or yawning. Also I was told I have post nasal drip 2 years ago and was prescribed a nasal spray but I never used it. I also wake up feeling stuffy sometimes. Dont know if that has anything to do with anything. Im mainly concerned about the swelling and Im worried.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCm Detailed Answer: There are several possible causes but you should not be worried since it is benign condition. It sounds like there is inflammation which can be caused by tooth issues, temporomandibular joint inflammation or parotid gland inflammation. In every case,you need to visit doctor and start with antibiotics and antiinflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or paracetamol. Also,you should put ice packs on it and avoid gum chewing or talking a lot. Also,eat more liquid food. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: What causes swelling behind left ear and down the neck? 13 minutes later
I've had this for a couple months. Is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: It is not normal. It indicates chronic infection or inflammation. You should do xray of TMJ joint and have dentist or ENT examination.