What causes swelling around dog bite wound?

General Surgeon
Hi, my dog bit me on the thumb. the dog has been innoculated against rabies, etc. and the wound is healing. There is swelling at the knuckle where he bit me. how best do I get the swelling reduced?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thank you for the query. When did the dog bite you? Can you attach a photo of the bite wound? Very often dogs bite wound does not heal quickly. Dog has lots of bacteria in the mouth. Even if the wound looks fine at the beginning it may be infected and usually antibiotics are necessary. So please send a photo of it so I can give more accurate answer. Regards