What causes swelling and numbness ith headaches and abdominal pain during periods?

May 2013
hi my name is XXXXXXX and this has happend twie sine ive had my period i go numb on my left side from my sholder blade down to after my knee with swelling and pain i get headahes and a sever pain in my lower adominal its sharp and really painfull
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Edema of the tissue Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Swelling or edema of the tissue can be seen in some women during menstrual period due to hormonal effect. Edema can cause feeling of numbness. Usually this will subside soon without need of treatment. Some amount of pain abdomen is common during periods. If the pain is severe, better to get evaluated. The usual causes of severe dysmenorrhea are pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibroid etc. So, you once consult gynecologist, get examined and go for ultrasound. With this workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes swelling and numbness ith headaches and abdominal pain during periods? 9 hours later
Thankyou and I will do that. I was treated for pelvic immfatory diease last yr in september and hospitalized for 3days. So could it have come back after the meds ?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later
Brief Answer: May have chronic course Detailed Answer: Hi, Sometimes pelvic inflammatory disease may have chronic course. It can lead to formation of adhesions between internal reproductive organs. That may cause pain during menstruation. So better to get evaluated once. Take care.