What causes swelling and numbness in both knees?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
In the last five years I have experienced the following : sudden swelling of both knees at the same time (2 months ago), numbness (dentist freezing numbness, not pins and needles) in both big toes at the same time (current ), pityriasis rosea (2010), and a lesion in the nostril (2010). I am also B12 , vitamin D and iron deficient. I am a 36 yo female. I am beginning to suspect lupus. Is that far fetched or is it time to get checked? Thanks for your time
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get test for lupus and treatment for deficiencies Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX It is first important to correct the nutritional deficiencies. As you have mentioned that you are suffering from vitamin B12, vitamin D and iron deficiencies, it is important to take supplements to correct the deficiencies. Consult your physician for the prescription. The other symptoms that you have mentioned is that of joint effusion *swelling of both knees simultaneously), neurological involvement (numbness), skin involvement in the form of pityriasis rosea and a lesion in the nostril. Lupus of lupus is raised if four out of eleven symptoms pertaining to different organ systems is present. The lupus is confirmed by serological test- antibody against dsDNA. The symptoms mentioned by you can be due to lupus and you need to consult your physician for clinical examination and relevant investigations. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: What causes swelling and numbness in both knees? 4 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I am currently treating the deficiencies. I take a monthly shot of B12, which we moved too after determining oral supplements were not helping. I also take 25mcg of VitD and 300 mg of ferrous gluconate with 6 oz of orange juice every day. I will pursue the test you mentioned, and I appreciate the information provided. I looked up the eleven symptoms and realized I can add pleurisy to the list. I was diagnosed with that about 6 years ago. thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Pleurisy potentates the possibility of SLE Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Yes, pleurisy is also one of the symptoms of lupus erythematosus. A past history of pleurisy further potentates the possibility of the disease. Consult your treating doctor as soon as possible for quick prescription of drugs. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal