What causes swelling above the base of the penis?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
What causes swelling to the right and above the base of the penis? Noticed it three weeks ago, a couple of days ago it started to hurt from a 0-5. Most uncomfortable while sitting.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible inguinal hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
These symptoms could indicate you have an inguinal hernia. This is when the tissues of the lower abdomen push through a weakness in the groin area.
It may appear as a painful swelling in the area you describe. The swelling may become more noticeable and painful when lifting or straining and disappear when lying down.
I suggest you see your doctor who will be able to examine you to make the diagnosis. If the symptoms persist then your doctor may recommend surgery. It is a relatively minor procedure for someone of your age with no significant medical history. The surgery involves replacing the tissues that have passed through the weakened abdominal wall and strengthening the muscles of the area. Recovery to normal activities usually takes 4-6 weeks.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,