What causes sweating of palms and soles leading to blisters and itching?

Dec 2013

Hi, during every summer my palm and foot sweats a lot, after that i will have blisters and itching on both palm and foot which medication i should take
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kinldy provide important details Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for sweating of palms and soles. It is really very distressing sometimes when there is unwanted sweating especially over palms and soles. I would like to know certain important things from your side so that I can guide you best regarding your condition. Please tell me some important points related to your complaints: - Since how long you have the problem of sweating of palms and soles. - How often in summer time you feel the problem- is it continuous during whole day or you feel particularly at certain times in a day. - Do you feel it on higher side during some anxiety or stress. - Have you gone for any test or taken any treatment or any home remedies for the sweating of palms and soles. - Any long term illness in life time. - Are you taking any kind of medications for any health condition. Hope to hear soon form your side. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Follow-up: What causes sweating of palms and soles leading to blisters and itching? 2 hours later
i had this problem around 15 to 17 after that the same problem arises for last four years especially in summer. i can't wear shoes if i do i will have blisters in palm and foot. Both allopathy and ayurvedic doctor, treated and cured me but every summer it starts again. i feel sweating little higher during some anxiety or stress.i have no long term illness in lifetime. pls give some tips how to minimize it
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: “Hyperhydrosis”; chemical treatment Detailed Answer: Hi young man, Thanks for posting all the important information so now I can guide you better regarding the condition. Medically we call your condition as “Hyperhydrosis”. To tell you simply- our skin contains numerous different kind of glands, one of these important glands are oil and sweat glands which are present all over the body. On palms and soles, specifically only the sweat glands are present and there are no any oil glands. SO the function of keeping moisture is maintained by sweat glands only. It is variable form person to person to secret high or less amount of sweat. It is dependent on genetical tendency, young age group, warm or hot weather condition and certain times stress or emotional states. All this is to maintain the body temperature and the inner core of body according to outer temperature. So you can get from all these states that you have almost most of the factors causing the excess sweating. You can get that basically it is a physiological state and not a disease per say. Nevertheless there are very few options available for the same. There is no any permanent medical or drug treatment which can reduce the sweating at its best. I quite often see patients taking one or the other medication but these medications have its own side effects. In my series of patients I suggest few important points. The most important of all is trying different of chemical products and no any oral medications: 1. Alum can be used for foot bath. After proper soaking your feet in warm water, rub alum over the feet for 10 minutes. 2. You can use Vinegar for foot Baths - Take half cup of vinegar in a bucket or tub partially filled and dip in for 20-25 minutes 3. You can use baking soda in place of alum or vinegar in the same way as for vinegar. 4. A simple Salt Water Soak can do wonders in sweat and smelly feet. Be careful if you have any open cuts or sores on your feet. So do not follow it if you have any open abrasions. 5. Wear cotton socks and change it in every 3-4 hours. 6. Wear shoes or sleepers with cotton base. Change them frequently in day. Expose the shoes and sleepers to direct sunlight and open air. 7. Do Yoga and relaxing exercises to reduce stress. It is one of the very important cause of sweating. For excess sweating in palms there is permanent treatment by surgery which is known as cervical sympathectomy. It is the removal of the point form where there is stimulus to secrete more sweat over palms. It is one of the best and permanent method which gives relief in sweating of palm and is basically done by neurosurgeons. You can consult a neurosurgeon foe same. For feet the surgical treatment is not applicable and therefore you have to rely on the simple chemical treatment only. I hope the information will help you. I will be glad for any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer. With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology