What causes sudden small black and blue mark on abdomen?

have what started out looking like a small black and blue mark on me abdomen, left side just at the lower ribs. this morning I noticed its larger and darker (purple). no fever, BP normal, no other symptoms. don't remember getting hit there. worried it could be more serious. my family doctor said its likely trauma, and took blood to double check
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: It looks like a subcutaneous bleed! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this mark. After reviewing the image, this mark very much resemble a subcutaneous blood collection. Blood appears blues when out f the vessels because of lack of oxygen. This often results from minor injuries that can at times be unnoticed to the client. Resorption would follow slowly over a course of about 4weeks. This needs no specific treatment to address this problem. Monitoring for any other concerning new symptoms would be advisable. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.