What causes sudden painful and shiney swelling in ankles is sensitive to touch?

Hi: One nite ago I went to ER as my left foot and ankle was 3 times bigger than it was supposed to be. It was very painful, shiney and sensitive to touch. The doc asked me where I've been over the last few days and I told him to my foot doc to take care of a "bursa" on the other foot. He left after 3 min and prognosed infection due to ingrown toenail, 500mg of Keflex and sent me on my way. Today I still have the swelling, not as bad (I can at least walk a little) but it's no where gone and still very painful. About 3 wks ago I fell on myleft side and created a bruise from the top of my hip to below my knee. X-rays and ultr scan showed nothing. My left leg is still larger than my right and very painful. I'm at a loss! Any doctor who puts a scope to my back and makes me breathe 2 times, and once in the front, is totally unacceptable. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the query I will like to tell you that your doctor is right in saying that it could be septic but still two possibilities I will think needs to be ruled out . One is deep vein thrombosis ( DVT) which can lead to similar presentation . A USG Doppler is highly recommended for this diagnosis . Second condition which needs to be ruled out is gout . Acute gouty arthritis also can lead to sudden swelling and pain affecting foot and ankle . So getting your serum uric acid doen is important . Since you are on many anti hypertensives it may also lead to attack of gout . For pain relief the treatment will depend upon the underlying condition . I will advise you to see your treating doctor and discuss these options also. Take care. Dr. Shruti