What causes sudden onset of double vision?

Hello, I am 67 year old male , form past 4 days i am suffering from double vision, i was asked to have my homo-cysteine checked ,the report have 19.57 umol/ltr. Is this increased level of homo-cysteine cause of double vision or this can be diplopia or other ? What more tests do you suggest for diagnosis of the problem? Also, what is your inference from the attached reports. Medicines: I have been taking Telma 40 for last two years For above Treatment I was recommended S Numlo Ecosprin Nurebion Thanks
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief need to be evaluated because there can be various causes for sudden onset of double vision. Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. I have read your reports and find that everything is normal except mild increase in homocysteine levels,which in fact doesn't mean  anything of much significance. A very high levels of homocysteine are found in cases of strokes or heart attacks etc. There can be various causes for double vision which can range from local eye problems like corneal ulcers and dry cornea,cataract,eye muscles problem like myasthenia gravies,diabetes,thyroid malfunctioning and brain problems like stroke,aneurysm,brain tumour,increased intracranial pressure as in bleeding from trauma or some infection. You need to consult a eye specialist to look for eye problem and if eyes are normal ,then you should consult a neurologist to look for some brain pathology. In such a event you need to get either a CT or MRI of brain. Also get your thyroid function tests done. Treatment would depend upon finding the cause. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks