What causes sudden onset of cold and shivering with numbness in left hand finger?

hello, my husband who is never sick or goes to the doctor all of a sudden started shivering and is very cold can't seem to get warm the only other thing is finger on left had is numb he was fine ate dinner then had piece of pie & cup of coffee and this happened he's laying down with a jacket on an a blanket over him.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Needs evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. Since sudden onset of cold and shivering with numbness in left hand finger, your husband needs further evaluation. Check for his BP, pulse rate and ECG is required. The cause may be due to allergic reaction to the food or due to any cardiac cause. Sudden onset of cold, numbness and shivering are all due to decreased blood supply to the peripheries so it needs further evaluation by your doctor. The other common cause for shivering are Urinary tract infection, abscess or due to malaria but these presents with other systemic clinical features with fever. For now ask him to relax, can give acetaminophen 650mg and consult your doctor for further evaluation. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Wish you and your husband a good health and faster recovery. Regards