What causes sudden numbness in a patch of skin on my thighs?

hi there sometimes on my right thigh on my leg i have a patch of skin goes numb but when i move around it goes away
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not be concerned... Detailed Answer: Hi, This description sounds like meralgia paraesthetica where the nerves supplying the outer aspect of thigh gets affected. It causes numbness and pain. In general, I would not be very concerned as symptom is short lived and isn't causing serious troubles to you. If the numbness is very frequent and is troubling you, you should consult a neurologist. He/she can perform local examination of abdomen, pelvis and this nerve in particular and plan its treatment accordingly. Medicines used to soothes nerve irritation such as pregabalin, carbamazepine, etc., can be used. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What causes sudden numbness in a patch of skin on my thighs? 23 hours later
would that also cause prickling or needle somtimes in same spot
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes... Detailed Answer: Pricking, pins and needles, burning sensation are all variety of symptoms patients experience with meralgia paraesthetica. The cause and its treatment are the same. You can consult a physician/neurologist and discuss about it. He/she will conduct few tests before starting you on a good drug. Hope this helps. You are free to ask for clarifications before closing the discussion. Regards