What causes sudden dizziness,nausea,heaviness in shoulder and could vertigo,migraine or pinched nerve be the reason?

Today while driving I saw a flash of light in right eye then became disoriented/dizzy. Nausea set in my throat. Shoulder area became quite heavy. Got to my destination, listing a bit when walking but not shaking. Took baby aspirin and noted the left side of my head felt tingly. Drove from there to home, sitting straight. Experienced the heavy arms, mostly on left. Dull pain at base of skull, comes and goes. dizziness but no falling. Did SAD test for stroke, can hold yoga tree position. Head still feeling awkward, disconnected, eyes tired. Drinking magnesium tea, ate dinner. Vertigo? Migraine? Pinched nerve?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Stroke less likely... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before I proceed to discuss this concern, I would like to remind you that it isn't easy to differentiate a neurological stroke with other conditions when dizziness alone is the predominant symptoms. So if you feel the symptoms are significant and troubling you, it would be best to get this checked at an ER. Having said that, symptomatically stroke present predominantly with nausea / vomiting and imbalance than dizziness. If you are not nauseas and are able to walk on a straight line without swaying, then you are less likely to have a stroke. Some common possibilities that explain the current set of symptoms include an acute viral illness, electrolyte and metabolic abnormality and anxiety. I suggest the following set of actions: 1. Head straight to the ER if symptoms are severe and is troubling you. Or if you notice that you sway a lot while walking on a straight line. 2. Check your pulse and blood pressure. 3. Drink some fluids with electrolytes. Avoid caffeinated drinks. 4. Rest yourself for couple of hours and reassess the condition. 5. If the symptoms aren't better, visit the urgent care clinic for detailed clinical evaluation. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards