What causes sudden bruising on legs?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 46 year old active mother of 3 boys. We went skiing all week and I have ungodly huge bruises on my hind died and all over my legs that look horrifying. Am I missing a vitamin from my diet?? Wh do I bruise easily and there don't? Also I have this chronic nerve pain that shoots down the back of my legs and hims that takes my breath away it hurts so much!!! Should I be tested for Lymes disease??
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to deficiency of vitamin C, B12, K,folic acid Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Unexplained bruising once in while is understandable but if occurs frequently should be investigated thoroughly since it can indicate an underlying medical condition or ailment. It has been observed that bruises are often observed more on women than men. Women often complain of bruising on legs, thighs, buttocks and upper arms. Thinner people are more prone to bruising as they lack the fat cushion that helps prevent injury. It may also be due to deficiency of vitamin C, vitamin B12, folic acid and vitamin K. Many times taking medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and even birth control pills increases chances of sudden bruising. Topical and systemic corticosteroids cause skin thinning, making one prone to bruises. Many a time bruising can be caused due to liver ailments, kidney diseases and blood disorder. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care