What causes strange altered sensation in one side of the body?

Nov 2013

What could be making one side of my body feel weird ? Could anxiety cause this? My right cheek, right arm, and right leg have strange altered sensation that comes and goes. It often gets worse when i focus on it but it disappears completely especially if im busy. I saw a neurologist who told me my neuro assessment is normal. I had a brain mri that showed no abnormality except for a small pineal cyst. MRI was also of cervical spine and was normal. All lab studies are normal. I do have a history of anxiety and panic disorder. Could it be psychological even if its only one sided ? What else could this be ? Help !
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. One-sided symptoms generally point to a pathology on the opposite side of brain. So, in your case, it is suggestive of left hemispheric (left side of brain) lesion. However, normal MRI of brain rules out the above possibility. In the presence of normal MRI, the only possibility left out is a partial sensory seizure, which could produce symptoms similar to yours. This can be confirmed or excluded by doing an EEG (electroencephalography). If EEG comes out as normal, then, your symptoms could be due to psychological reasons. In any case, there is no need to worry, as normal MRI of brain and cervical spine, in addition to a normal neurological examination, rules out any serious neurological disease. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: