What causes strained throat with fullness in ear and pain on sneezing?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had what feels like a strained throat for the last 6+ weeks. Not constant, but regularly. My right ear feels full and when I sneeze, the right side of my throat has a sharp pain in it. What do you think could cause this. Is this a symptom of throat/laryngeal cancer? I ask as I am a smoker and I have had a cough for the last while and I constantly have to clear my throat. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be cancer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The symptoms that you describe are unlikely to be related to a throat or laryngeal cancer. These give rise to additional progressive symptoms such as change in voice, difficulty in swallowing, blood in the sputum and so on. 2. The best way to rule out any cancer, infection or inflammation is to get a videolaryngoscopy done. 3. There are many causes for the fullness in the ear and pain in the throat while sneezing. Common causes for these are allergy, post nasal drip, sore throat, acid reflux (cough and frequent throat clearing), eustachian tube dysfunction, referred pains and neuralgias. These are all treatable by medication. 4. This would be a good time to quit smoking. 5. Your dizziness and disorientation may also be due to gastritis, acid reflux and as a side effect of Zoplicone. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes strained throat with fullness in ear and pain on sneezing? 3 hours later
I saw a doctor some time ago about the throat issue, they took a swab and sent it for lab testing. I have not heard anything back. 1. Is there any over the counter medications you would suggest or recommend that i can take to relieve these symptoms? 2. In regards to smoking, i have tried the patch many times, i have tried the gum, etc and zyban. None seem to really work. What would you suggest i do for this? 3. A doctor told me before that i have some form if issue with my right eustachean tube. Is there anything that can be done for this? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Throat swab result is usually available in 3-5 days. It may easily be repeated again. 2. OTC medications will be medicated gargles and lozenges. The rest of the medication will require a prescription form a local physician. You may try household remedies such as turmeric in warm milk. 3. The best way is to quit smoking suddenly and resist the urge to smoke again. The body soon adapts. 4. The are tests for evaluating Eustachain Tube Dysfunction (ETD). Get an ear, nose examination and a Tympanometry (Impedance Audiumetry) done and share the results here. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.