What causes stomach pain when laying flat?

Every time I lay flat to sleep, I always wake up in the middle of the night with a pain in my stomach.. What could be the problem.. The pain just woke me up eases up after I turn on my side on a fetal position. I am 39 years old (occasionally drinks, maybe once-twice a year).. Never done drugs and don't smoke..
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal -10 hours later
Brief Answer: More information is required Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. More details are needed, such as, site of pain; nature of pain- whether colicky/cramps/burning sensation; reflux of acidic fluids in to the mouth; burning chest pain; relief with food; bowel movements, etc... However, the sketchy details suggest hyperacidity/stomach ulcers; worms infestation; or, problem of Pancreas. Perhaps, the required information would provide me invaluable input to localize the exact cause. A course of a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) such as, Omeprazole or Pantoprazole + a single tablet of anti-worm drug, such as, Albendazole should give you relief. An ultrasound of the abdomen, Gastroscopy and relevant blood/stools workup would identify the cause. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes stomach pain when laying flat? 27 minutes later
My pain is usually below my abdomen.. It's like more on my guts and affects my mid back as I breathe that's what's waking me up mostly..the nature of pain is dull ache.. No gas, no cramps and no acidic fluid in mouth but sometimes it accompanied w/ a chest pain.. I don't have insurance at the moment as I lost my job and lost my insurance coverage I can't see a doctor.. Are those medicine you quoted OTC or do I need prescription? Thanks a lot!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Anti-inflammatory+muscle relaxant+PPI will help Detailed Answer: Hi, The fresh input changes the perspective somewhat. Lower abdominal, back and chest pain seems to be more of muscular in origin (spasm of lower abdominal and back muscles, a condition in which, breathing-in, aggravates the pain), than the guts. However, chest pain may also be due to increased acid production in stomach with occasional reflux of acid into the food pipe. A short course (5-7 days) of a combination of anti-inflammatory drug, such as, ibuprofen, and a muscle relaxant, such as, Chlorzoxazone will relax the muscle spasm and relieve the pain at all sites. In addition, 2-4 week's course of PPI (as mentioned earlier) + single-dose deworming course, will relieve hyperacidity + chest pain. ALL SUGGESTED DRUGS are most likely available OTC. Take care Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal