What causes stomach pain and blood in stool?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
I have stomach pain and XXXXXXX stool what can be causing this?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need some more details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Kindly provide some more details on your condition. Since when do you have the above problem? Did you notice foul smell in stools? Did you notice blood stains in the stool or dark colored stools? Have you been on any medication for the same? Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: What causes stomach pain and blood in stool? 46 minutes later
I have been having the problem off and on for a couple of months. Yes, there is foul gas associated with it and no blood or dark stools. The only medication I have taken is ibuprofen maybe once a week.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need antibiotic and tests . Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the information. It is good to know that you have no blood or darkness in stool. As you have this problem off and on for a couple of months with foul gas, I would advise you to get the tests during the problem phase- for stool, routine blood tests including blood sugar and ultrasonography of abdomen. I would also advise you to take a course of an antibiotic and see the results. You need to visit your Doctor as antibiotic is a prescription drug. Tests will help you to know if there is any specific problem which may need a consultation with a Gastroenterologist. In the meantime please try to recollect if there are certain foods or beverages which have enhanced your problem. regards,