What causes stiffness in my fingers?

May 2014

I am a 65 year old male and I am having stiffness in my middle finger and ring finger. Hard to close and snaps back open. It is worse at night and not so much during the day. I have all my strength.
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most likely carpal tunnel syndrome Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Symptoms that you have are most likely due to carpal tunnel syndrome which is a condition due to compression of the median nerve in the wrist joint. The median nerve supplies the thumb, index, middle and half of ring fingers. In this condition, numbness, tingling, stiffness or pain may be seen in the fingers and is usually more in the night. You might be having a mild condition and therefore the strength is normal. Other conditions causing similar symptoms are arthritis and injury to muscles, tendons and nerves. I suggest you consult an orthopedician and confirm your diagnosis through clinical examination. If you have a carpal tunnel syndrome then the condition is mild in your situation and will respond to medical treatment and by taking preventive measures while doing daily activities. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek