What causes sticky stools and frequent bowel movements?

Same symptoms listed about. Frequent pooping and lots of gas. Soreness from wiping..Poop is SO sticky.Had colonscopy within maybe 3 years
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Problem probably due to cholesterol lowering drugs Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. More information is required to arrive at a definite conclusion. However, the commonest possibilities of your symptoms are either, * cholesterol medicines (which commonly cause diarrhea, excessive gas production, nausea) * intestinal infection (amebic, bacterial or worms); or, * Irritable Bowel syndrome (IBS), particularly in view of your chronic anxiety. IBS is commonly aggravated by attacks of acute anxiety. Other less likely causes include diverticulosis, Crohn's disease or any other intestinal lesion, such as, polyps, diverticulosis or inflammatory bowel disease. You therefore need to undergo a stool test (for infective organism or ova of worms) and, a repeat colonoscopy, if needed. I would recommend the following course of action :- * Stop cholesterol drugs for a week and see if bowel symptoms reduce. If they do, ask your doctor to replace the drug with a substitute. * Take a short (5-7 days) course of anti-amebic drug, such as, Metronidazole or Tinidazole; a single-tablet deworming course with Albendazole; 2-4 weeks course of a Probiotic drug, such as, Lactobacilli along with digestive enzymes. I am sure that these medications will cure your problems. * If you still continue to have ongoing anxiety despite anxiety medication and, the stool test is negative for any infection, IBS is the obvious diagnosis. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me. Your doctor is the BEST JUDGE to advise you after examining you. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes sticky stools and frequent bowel movements? 3 minutes later
Sounds good. Thank you so much!!!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: My pleasure Detailed Answer: You are most welcome, Ma'am.