What causes stevens johnson syndrome of mouth?

i have been diagnosed with stevens XXXXXXX syndrome of mouth due to allergic reaction to levoquin taken for infection of finger post op. i have white plaque areas of inside mouth but mainly inside lips and upper mouth above my teeth. I have been om dexamethazone swish and then chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse and now genchin violet which has helped the pain the most even though i still have the white plaque. the white plaque sometimes sloughs out which is painful. i had surgery nov 18 2013 then infection 2 weeks later.. i was odd levoquin then later on sulpha then off both then when the blister sores were improving i developed this painful white plaque. i have been having to eat soft foods for 2 months now.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: biopsy required Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX syndrome is a drug allergy. It presents with blistering and exfoliation of skin and oral mucosa. You are getting a correct treatment but the lesions usually heal within a month. In your case it is getting prolonged. I suggest you to undergo a biopsy of oral mucosa. This will aid in diagnosis and help ruling out other conditions like lichen planus. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you