What causes spread of infection due to a draining dental sinus?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I had a dental sinus for a while and didn't attend to it as I was told I need a surgery to remove it. Recently I had a number of infections and last month ( just at X'mas) 3 infections more or less together : sinusitis Ear infections in two ears and bronchitis. I asked my dentist if it could be from the tooth ( which by the way was treated by a root canal and crowned ) he said no Can it be linked? I'm not a doctor of medicine but it can't be good to have puss daring away thru a sinus! Is surgery essential to remove the dental sinus antibiotics don't work I'm concerned as I have an autoimmune disease Thank you
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Dental sinus complications Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding spread of infection due to a draining dental sinus. A dental sinus tract is usually a complication of periodontal abscess which can discharge pus from time to time. There are complications of dental sinus tract which are listed below: 1. Sinusitis 2. Infection of the other teeth 3. Infection of jaw bone 4. Rare but serious complication, is spread of infection to brain. These complications are more common in immunocompromised patients like diabetics and patients on immunosuppressive therapy. In your case, firstly dental sinus tract has to be confirmed that it is from a dental infection. If the sinus tract is due to dental infection, treatment of the dental infection by root canal will cause resolution of the tract within 2 weeks and may not require surgery. Antibiotics are given only when there are complications like spread of the infection to the nearby parts. If you have been treated for the tooth infection, the sinus tract should resolve by 2 weeks. I suggest you get in touch with your treating doctor for examination if you have the following symptoms: 1. High temperature 2. Having difficulty opening your mouth, swallowing or breathing 3. Having swelling of mouth, face or jaw 4. Pain despite taking painkillers I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.
Follow-up: What causes spread of infection due to a draining dental sinus? 16 hours later
Sorry but the answer you gave me is GENERIC and doesn't answer my My PERSONAL QUERY 1. You suggest I get root canal treatment which I did on that tooth a long time ago 2. I said antibiotics didn't work on sorting the draining sinus ( it cleared for a little while then came back) 3. My questions about can this have caused sinusitis ear infections was not answered The information you have given me I already had
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Complications of dental sinus Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome back. I have mentioned that dental sinus can cause complications like sinusitis and ear infections if dental infection is left untreated. Recurrence is common in dental sinuses if dental infection is not treated, if dental sinus has recurred after dental infection has been treated then, then I suggest you get another X ray done of the tract to look for another source of infection. Antibiotics do not help in resolution of the tract, the source has to be treated for resolution. Surgery is opted for only when other options of treatment do not work and it is not preferred because this can cause spread of infection to the nearby parts. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.