What causes spotting during pre menopause?

Hi just had a period after 17 months, Had bloods done recently and they came back ovarian failure which I am told means I am in the menopause. Recently had sex but panicked and the next day got the morning after pill. This was 2 weeks ago. Do I need to still be cautious as regards contraception
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need not worry about contraception. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. The period-like bleeding you are experiencing now is most likely a result of the withdrawal consequent to the emergency contraception. Yet, you should visit your gynecologist for an opinion. Since you have been pronounced to have entered the menopause, you need not worry about contraception. Emergency contraceptive pills contain high amount of hormone and tend to disturb the hormonal pattern of the body. Since the uterus is always responsive until it reaches an atrophic state, it can have withdrawal bleeds. Regular follow up is always necessary after menopause to watch for any unwanted developments. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.