What causes spotting after an X ray?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Sorry this might be a bit long. My bf and I had unprotected sex. I was 20 days late and took a test last week it was negative. Monday night I needed xrays on my ankle at the hospital and I didnt think I was pregnant so I said I was fine having the xrays. Needless to say yesterday I started spotting and had 3 little tiny balls of blood and then that was it. Today no blood just staining. I used a tampon and both times I took them out it was brown crusty flakes that came out with it. Can that be a miscarriage due to radiation? I read a lot of things and everyone says something different. Early pregnancy? Cervical erosion. . Whatever that is? Miscarriage? Please help me understand
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. If you had taken home pregnancy test at least 15 days after unprotected sex with negative results then it is less likely that you are pregnant. In my opinion it is nothing to due with radiation miscarriage. Ankle X rays require a very small amount of X rays. However you should have asked for a lead apron to cover your pelvis while getting X rays as a protection as per radiation safety norms. Cervical erosion is a condition where the upper layers of cells in the cervix of uterus may get eroded and that can cause little bleeding and pain. Early pregnancy cannot be commented upon if your home pregnancy test results are negative. It is important to know if you have taken any emergency pills in the last few months and then a hormonal imbalance may be causing your alteration in menstrual cycles. Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What causes spotting after an X ray? 9 minutes later
I just get nervous when I miss my period now. I became pregnant a few years ago and didnt find out until I was 2 months pregnant already. I was taking tests before that and they all came out negative.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing back with an update. There are blood tests to measure serum beta HCG levels which is an indicator of pregnancy. The serum beta HCG levels increase in a particular manner during pregnancy and this can be monitored. In earliest stages it may not be detected even by blood tests leading to confusion. I suggest you wait for few days and get tested at home once again in a few days. If you still have a negative test and your periods have not happened then it is advisable to get blood pregnancy test done. The best precaution to avoid pregnancy is having protected sex. Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek