What causes spotting after IUD insertion?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Hi. I had the Mirena IUD inserted in August of 2013 after an abortion in July. Since the insertion there has not been a day where I didn't have to wear at least a panty liner. But most days are a sanitary napkin or a tampon. Is this normal to have on going bleeding for this long? Should I have it removed?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is not normal Detailed Answer: Ongoing vaginal bleeding after you have place Mirena, isn't normal. Mirena reduces periods and have side effect like irregular bleeding (spotting). You should consult immediately with your Gynecologist because this may be a serious side effect. You need to do at least: TVS to see the position of Mirena inside your uterus Blood test to exclude anemia from the extended bleeding In such cases Mirena is recommended to be removed but this is decided from your gyn after he /she makes a detailed assessment. Take care of your self