What causes sporadic bright light flashed in peripheral vision?

Does it mean anything when you have sporadic bright light flashed in your peripheral vision?
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be because of retinal tear in the periphery Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to health care magic Iam DR. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed the history provided by you. It seems from the history that you are female aged 62 years complaining of sporadiac bright flashes in your peripheral vision. This problem I will like to rule out retinal tear in the periphery as these are common in your age because of retinal thinning and atrophy. Flashes of light in the periphery of visual field associated with sudden onset of floaters is the typical symptom of retinal tear. Since you are aged 62 years, I would like to rule out this condition. This requires examination by a ophthalmologist or preferably retinal specialist. The examination required is simple non invasive and not painful, it is done by fundoscopy or indirect ophthalmoscopy. Hence I advice you to consult ophthalmologist to rule out the above condition. The risk is it may lead to retinal detachment and treatment is by non invasive method like laser treatment. Hope I have answered your query. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K