What causes spontaneous bruising of the eyelids?

I cannot touch my eye lids or below my eyes without a dark bruise developing within seconds. This afternoon I was talking to my daughter, and all of a sudden she told me my right eye lid was black and blue. I looked in the mirror and sure enough it was dark blue, it looked like someone had hit me in the eye. I will wake up in the morning with black eyes. It's really starting to become a problem, I have to be very careful when I apply my makeup or else I give my self a black eye. I do not take any type of blood thinners, I am 61 year old female in good health.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Spontaneous bruising of eyelids needs evaluation Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic I am Dr Dadapeer K an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having spontaneous bruising of the eyelids. This is because of bleeding into the layers of skin of eyelids by broken blood vessels. The commonest cause is injury to the eyes or the surrounding regions. Since you have mentioned that there is no injury the other causes which will lead to spontaneous bleeding like Drugs which will alter bleeding and clotting time like aspirin, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, diclofenac Bleeding and clotting disorders Corticosteroids intake which will make the vessel fragile Age related changes in the skin and blood vessels making them fragile Allergic or inflammatory conditions of the eye lid skin If you are having these problems repeatedly and if you are having spontaneous bleeding from other sites like gums, you require proper evaluation to find out the underlying cause and treatment accordingly. Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for evaluation to find out the underlying cause. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you