What causes spike in blood sugar level?

Today My Mother took Pomegranate juice without sugar. After 10 mins we took CBG test & value showed as 485. My Mother is not an Diabetes patient . Kindly suggest us whether I need to check with hospital for Diabetes ?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need further evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Good day. First thing I want to ask us if your Mother has any symptoms like heavy breathing or extreme thirst? If not then don't panic. Check the blood glucose levels after 2 hours again and urine test for ketones. If these are okay then you don't have to worry too much. If the blood glucose levels remain high and if urine ketone is positive then please go to a hospital soon. It is unusual for a glass of pomegranate juice to push her blood glucose level so high. She need further evaluation like a Fasting blood glucose, post prandial blood glucose and HbA1C. HbA1C will tell you the average blood glucose reading over the last three months which is really useful in this case. Of your mother is found to have diabetes, then she need further tests for cholesterol, kidney functions etc. She will also need an eye check up etc. What's your mom's height and weigjt? Is she overweight? Is she physically active? Any family history of diabetes? Any recent intake of steroids or drugs like that?? Does she have excessive thirst or weight loss or frequent urination?? These questions are important. She surely need further evaluation . Please book an appointment with your GP or a diabetes specialist.
Follow-up: What causes spike in blood sugar level? 32 hours later
Today We took blood test and reading follows. Blood Sugar (F) - 276 PPBS -397 cholesterol-171 hemoglobin - 11.5 I got an Doctor's appointment on Monday . Whether it's right (OK) to meet Doctor on Monday or I need to Visit Doctor immediately?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can wait till Monday Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Good day. So she surely has diabetes. You have mentioned Hb as 11.5. Is it an HbA1C value or just Hb?? it is important to get an HbA1C done. Besides she also need a lipid profile , serum creatinine, urine routine , and an eye check up. I hope you are meeting an endocrinologist. You can certainly wait till Monday. Till then she can restrict her carbohydrate intake especially simple sugars. She should start exercising as well. Regards Binu