What causes spike in BP at noon?

I take 50 mg of losartan to control BP I take it at bedtime.. I take atneolol daily at 1 pm 50 mg Wondering it this is the correct times. I am noticing a spike of BP to 130/80 during the afternoon and evening hours. Am logging BP for Cardiologist.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should change the timings of medicines Detailed Answer: Welcome to HCM! Your question is regarding the correctness of timings of your blood pressure medications. You are on two types of anti hypertensives, and the BP goes upto 130/80 in afternoon and evening. I would like to tell you that the BP reading of 130/80 mm Hg is usually not considered to be high. We treat it when it is belond 130/90mm Hg. Moreover, is this just a reading or do you also have any symptoms at the time when reading is 130/80? From my clinical experince I can say that the fluctuations, this can be due to the timings of the drugs. Losartan can be taken in day time ( you can discuss this with your treating doctor) and atenolol to be shifted to night time. In our clinic, if a patient needs two types anti hypertensive to control his BP, we prefer to give one in morning and one on evening time (yours is afternoon and night). By doing this the blood leves are attained properly and there is usually not much fluctuations in levels. Your current dosage levels seem to be adequate ( as maximum reading is 130/80 only). So, you should discuss these points with your treating team. Wish you good health! Please feel free to ask more question for clarifictaion Dr. Manisha Gopal